Innovation through industrial development of a specific pallet made with recycled plastic (eco-pallet), to be used in an industrial rental loop to transport polyethylene resins.
- Definition of the eco-pallet specifications.
- Testing of the eco-pallet in logistics processes.
- Evaluation of the environmental performance in comparison with wooden pallets, using LCA approach.
The production of the eco-pallets starts from industrial scraps of paper mills, that use paper and cardboard from separate collection. Such stream consists of approximately 35% of plastic material that cannot be recycled with the technologies available until now. This initiative stems from the results of the European project LIFE ECO-PULPLAST (see link on the left).
The pallet made of recycled heterogeneous plastic material is moulded in a prototype production line, based on an innovative technology, significantly reducing the proportion of scraps sent to landfill and / or incineration, following the principles of circular economy.
- Substitution of wooden pallets with recycled plastic Eco-pallets with an average expected lifetime of about 10 – 15 uses (large-scale test in progress), to be used into a re-use industrial rental loop.
- Achievement of Recycling and Reuse according to the aims of the Circular Economy.
- Reduction of costs of disposal and reductions of the environmental impacts.
- No contamination of the goods during transport (e.g. from wood splinters, nails or other mounting materials).
Due to the fact that Commission identified four problem areas into the proposal on waste and packaging legislation, we, also according to the European Association position, are ready to play an active role to overcome the main constraints:
- Insufficient information about substances of concern in products and waste.
- Presence of substances of concern in recycled materials and articles made thereof.
- Uncertainties about how materials can cease to be waste.
- Difficulties in applying EU waste classification methodologies and impacts on the recyclability of materials.
The project involves three partners:
• Versalis S.p.A. for the definition of the technical, environmental characteristics and approval as well as first user in the rental loop of the eco-pallet as secondary packaging
• Selene S.p.A. as eco-pallet manufacturer and supplier
• P.R.S. Management BV as distributor of the eco-pallet into the international rental loop