Phosphorus “P” is not replaceable. No P = no agriculture = no food. The only type of mineral that contains high concentrated phosphorus on this planet earth is the apatite mineral. It has two natural forms, the mined and non-renewable mineral phosphates that are chemo-synthetically processed into mineral fertilisers, and the renewable animal bones that are pure bio-based natural calcium-phosphate substances.
Over 88% of the EU agriculture P demand is imported, but these chemo-synthetic mineral phosphates naturally contain high Cadmium/Uranium toxic contaminants. Furthermore, their nutrient use efficiency is as low as 20% only, therefore they need to be replaced with bio-based recovered products that are pure, safe, efficient, have economically high nutrient density above 30% P2O5, and are market competitive priced.
Such recycled P bio-material is the ABC-BioPhosphate, recovered from food grade animal bones by 3R Zero Emission Carbon Refinery key enabling technology. The recovery of ABC-BioPhosphate critical raw material is significantly improving the EU food safety and supply security for sustainable agricultural production and adsorbent applications for less cost. The ABC-BioPhosphate is effectively supporting the industrial implementation of the EU-1009/2019 Circular Economy Fertilising Products Regulation objectives under market competitive conditions and offering replacement of the phosphate critical raw material as of EU 2017/490.
The TECHNOLOGY 3R Zero Emission Carbon Refinery:
- Converts unexploited biomass into high added value products at an industrial scale, making it economically viable.
- Is environmental/climate friendly– all materials streams are converted into useful and safe products. It maintains a unique 850°C material core processing temperature.
- Can be applied on an economical industrial scale, designed with a standard capacity of 20,800 t/y throughput capacity. Based on the replication model, market expansion is planned in FR, DE, BE, A, IT and ES with additional replicated projects and expansions towards the US, Australia and Japan.
- Has low maintenance and operations costs. It is auto-thermal and energy self sufficient.
- Meets the EU, USA and Australian industrial and environmental norms and standards.
The PRODUCTS ABC-BioPhosphate:
- Has a high nutrient density above 30% P2O5 content.
- Is highly microsporosis structured with unique surface chemistry, which makes the material especially suitable for controlled release of organic fertiliser in ecological farming and adsorbent applications.
- Produces pure and safe products with no contamination content.
- Has a wide range of formulation opportunities to any BIO-NPK-C organic compound fertiliser in any climatic and soil cultivation.
- Is sustainable and climate-friendly.
- Europe is importing over 88% of its mineral phosphate fertiliser needs, making the European economy vulnerable in terms of security of supply. The low Cadmium and Uranium content mineral phosphate resources with economically high >30% P2O5 content are already depleted.
- Phosphates/Phosphorus are critical raw materials with high economical importance while having high supply risk, no substitution alternative and low end-of-life recycling rate. No Phosphorus = no agriculture = no food supply.
- The European Commission defined the recovery of Phosphorus from domestic material sources as a strategic goal. However, the economical and market competitive recovery of Phosphorus requires high nutrient density, high purity and safe bio-products; for which the only available feed materials are the bio-origin apatite mineral/calcium-phosphate based animal bones, that is after processing known as ABC-BioPhosphate.
- The new EU-1009/2019 Fertilising Products Regulation will be implemented from July 16, 2022 with low >1.5 mg/kg Cadmium content for biobased products that will total reorganise the fertiliser market.
The original source and IP owner for the 3R Zero Emission Carbon Refinery innovative technology and ABC-BioPhosphate products is the Swedish inventor Edward Someus. The 3R technology and ABC-BioPhosphate products have been successfully developed and demonstrated under long termed operational conditions. The S&T RTD partnerships covers 10 EU countries.
The European Commission co-financed the RTD, which reached full industrialisation level by 2020.