The A|U|F Association is a non-profit organisation active in Germany whose aim is to promote the closed-loop recycling of Aluminium profiles used in buildings, thus contributing to the saving of primary resources and, consequently, in reducing the associated environmental impacts.
The Association supports the collection of post-consumer profiles mainly used for windows, doors and curtainwalls from building at their end of life and the collection of pre-consumer scrap for the profile manufacturers. The profiles collected in this way are then recycled into new profiles with no change in quality and performance compared to the profiles produced with primary aluminium.
A|U|F, not only guarantees the closed loop recycling of aluminium profiles, but it also guarantees that this recycling process happens in Germany and in Europe, without any loss of precious secondary materials to other regions.
- On average, the recycling of aluminium consumes 95% less energy if compared to the energy used for the primary production of aluminium
- In 2017 around 31.000 tonnes of aluminium profiles have been recycled into new aluminium profiles thanks to the A|U|F.
- In 2017, the recycling of aluminium profiles realised thanks to A|U|F has saved more than 250.000 tonnes of CO2-eq compared to primary production of Aluminium.
- It contributes to improve the traceability of recycled aluminium and the quality of the secondary aluminium, thus applying the basic principles of circular economy.
- A|U|F is enhancing the collaboration between all the actors in the value chain, thus contributing to the identification of innovative and creative solutions to face the current challenges.
- The main challenge for A|U|F is the availability of post-consumer scrap collected from buildings at their end of life.
- The management of such a scheme is also complex due to the involvement of all the actors in the whole value chain, such as supplier of aluminium system profiles, manufacturing companies, suppliers of windows and doors, assemblers, distributors of components, demolition companies, certified recycling and collection partners, remelting companies, extrusion plants.
- Another aspect not to be underestimated is the evolution of the legislative framework, both at national and European level, that can have a positive or negative effect on the future of the scheme.
This product specific recycling cycle is the result of a joint effort of many partners, that count around 180 in 2017. Members of A|U|F are suppliers and manufacturers of aluminium building profiles for windows, doors and curtain walling, metalworkers, components manufacturers, distributors, recyclers and companies interested in closed material cycle for aluminium. Among many others:
– HYDRO Building Systems – Wicona
– Reynaers Aluminium
– Schüco International
– Hydro Aluminium Recycling Dormagen
– Scholz Recycling
For a list of all partners, please visit https://www.a-u-f.com/mitglieder/.
A|U|F e.V. Office
+49 (0) 69 955 054 - 35