Fiskeby Board AB is a company that produces White Lined Chipboard from 100 % recycled fibers. The production is based on three circular loops of material and energy recovery:
- Loop 1: Fibers are recycled from consumer and post industrial waste and new board is produced.
- Loop 2: The waste from the board production, i.e. plastic barriers from packages, together with other industrial waste is used as a fuel in the company´s waste to energy plant. The energy is used to produce 100 % of the steam used for drying the board during production, plus around 30-40 % of the total electrical energy used in the mill. The energy plant was started in 2010.
- Loop 3: The waste water from the mill is cleaned in a water treatment plant before going back to the recipient. The first step is an anaerobic treatment which produces biogas. The start-up of the anaerobic water treatment was 2015. Currently there is a project ongoing in order to use the biogas in the production plant. Start up is planned in 2018.
- About 70 % of the collected paper packages in Sweden are recycled into new board by Fiskeby Board AB.
- Before the energy plant was built around 40,000 tons of waste and water had to be transported to other combustion plants every year.
- The energy from the biogas will replace about 9 GWh of electrical energy in the mill.
- If the responsibility for the collection of recycled fibers is not with the producers of the packages, recycling solutions will be more expensive and risk that fibers are burned instead of recycled.
- Different countries have different regulations for paper and board. There is a need for a harmonized legislation within EU.