We are collecting used clothes and textile waste which we use in production of our fashion line “ReDesign”. Used clothes is mostly collected in north-west Croatia. It is sorted in Humana Nova premises based on the following categories:
- Clean and undamaged clothes is forwarded to a special store that offers affordable products made by Humana Nova.
- Clean and partially damaged clothes is sewed and then sent to “greenware” stores.
- Clean and damaged clothes will be used to make new articles such as apron, slippers, bags, garments, etc.
- Damaged and stained textile waste will be recycled into cleaning wipes for nearby industries. Buttons, zippers and other accessorizes are removed and further reused.
- Unusable textile waste will be sent to recycling companies.
People producing these products are mostly from marginalized groups (people with disability, long-term unemployed people, single parents, older people, youth, etc.).
- Over 7 years we have gathered approximately 1500 tons of used clothes and textile waste which was reused or recycled.
- The aforementioned has reduced emission of CO2 by 1.368.000,00 kg.
- Unclear national regulations in terms of waste management, social entrepreneurship and employment of people with disabilities.
- Consumer perception of recycled/reused textiles: people are often not ready to pay a price for reused or recycled products.