ReCircle is a system that allows for 100% closed-loop recycling of glass, PET & HDPE plastic containers, and steel and aluminium cans by guaranteeing zero contamination of used-materials, enabling households and offices etc to guarantee their used containers and packaging is close-loop recycled.
A used container or piece of packaging is loaded into the appliance and sensor-checked to determine the correct closed-loop recycled product stream. For example, the product streams in the current appliance design are clear PET, cloudy HDPE, brown, clear & green glass and steel and aluminium. Once accepted, the container or packaging is washed, then dried, then sized reduced – plastics are granulated to flakes, glass ground to culled and metals shredded. When one of the seven separate 99% pure product storage containers is full, a home on-demand pickup service will be arranged to collect the closed-loop recycled products.
By guaranteeing 100% purity of recyclable materials, ReCircle can:
- Remove the need for the current expensive and inefficient collection of co-mingled recyclables and the ensuing problematic sorting & separation processes.
- Guarantee 100% closed-loop recycling of glass, aluminium and plastics (PET & HDPE) processed by the ReCircle appliance.
- Retain the value of used recyclable container materials, so they can be sold at a premium and successfully closed-loop re-manufactured after their useful life. These are clear PET & cloudy HDPE flakes valued at US$0.50-1.10 per kg, three pure colored glass cullet at US$50-110 per ton, and steel cans US$250-500 per ton and aluminum cans at US$1,200-1,700 per ton.
- The potential CO2e emission reductions are substantial (up to 1.33 ton CO2 per US household).
- The main challenge is financial and is to raise funds ~ US$14.5 million for next commercialisation stage. Prototype development funds have been raised and currently we are testing the prototype components. In May 2020, the glass size-reduction crusher component went into first trial. The prototype will be completed in February 2021.
- The EU currently lacks ambitious extended producer responsibility (EPR) legislation, which requires those who benefit from the containers and packaging – companies and individuals – to pay a fee or tax or claim a rebate per container or piece of packaging. The ReCircle domestic recycling appliance, when in a consumers household, will identify per each container, the container’s manufacturer and container user. Hence EPR per container can be delivered.
Currently we have no partners. We are seeking partners – component manufacturers, appliance manufacturers & home pickup service deliverers.
+44 74432 76676