Reda, an Italian wool fabric company produces active “Padding”; a non-woven fabric created using post-industrial textile waste (by-products) coming from production cycle. This fabric is highly resistant and capable of decomposing over time.
Reda also produces a flannel, by recycling by-products that are re-carded and transformed into a new yarn used for the creation of the fabric.
It can be used for insulation, jackets filling, ski boots, ski helmets and others.
- Recycling of by-products
- Reduction of textile disposal waste and emissions
- In comparison with another flannel (not recycled) of the same line: the fabric contains 40% of recycled yarn (made using by-products)
- Lack of regulation specifying criteria for waste/by-products management
- Lack of funding to support the scale up of the business
- Lack of awareness of value of recycled and recovered products, leading to low demand and high cost of recycled textile products
- Need for one global harmonised certification/instrument for the evaluation of environmental impacts of products.
Ercole Botto Paola