We leave in Kalamata, a renowned area for the production of olive and olive oil.
Since 1968, we bake lime stones to produce putty lime used in the construction sector and quick lime used as a natural fertiliser in soils, using a by-product sustainable biomass fuel from olive oil production. This fuel is made from the skin, flesh and woody part of the olive pips, after collecting and milling the olives.
However, during the baking of the limestone, a black powder is created due to an incomplete combustion of the olive pips. Grandfather Klimis, the founder of our company, thought back in 1977 to use that black powder again. And after fifteen years of experiments, he invented and commercialised the barbecue briquettes by compressing the black powder in an oval shape.
The barbecue briquettes offer unique advantages. They have a big calorific power.They are easy to light up and create no smoke, sparkles or smell. Finally, the leftover ashes can be used as a soil enhancer.
- We give value to biomass waste; first as heating energy and second as a new product
- We don’t cut trees or use remnants of chopping down trees to produce charcoal thus tackling deforestation, as 8% of the annual forest loss is attributable to fuelwood
- By using our barbecue briquettes, green house gas emissions are reduced, as combustion of biomass is carbon neutral.The barbecue briquettes produce 30% less CO during combustion than lump charcoal
- Lack of financing
- Insufficient law regulation for wood charcoal which is our main competitor. Also, around 70% of the wood charcoal used annually in Europe is imported.
- Recognition and awareness for by-products
- EU Ecolabel certification for such kind of products as there is no category for those products
+30 27210 69454