In 2019, the Swedish denim brand Nudie Jeans Co launched a denim capsule collection called Rebirth. The collection, available since October, consists of over 3,500 pairs of jeans, 199 denim jackets and over 800 T-shirts.
Collected post-consumer Nudie jeans are mechanically degraded into fibres. These fibres in combination with virgin organic cotton are spun into yarns which are turned into new denim fabric, that is used in the manufacturing of new Nudie Jeans garments.
- Waste reduction of 1,500 kg of denim for Winter 2019 collection
- 19% of water per m3 saved due to utilisation of post-consumer recycled denim in combination with organic cotton
- 4.5 kg of CO2 and 0.8 m3 of water used per one pair of jeans
- Technical problems in recycling related with the mixture of stretch and rigid materials
- Material separation of mixed composition together with metal trims and patches
- Lack of efficient routines and business partners