Vernéa is a model of environmental performance. A combined material and energy-from-waste recovery idea, it consists of a biological recovery centre and an energy recovery centre.
The Vernéa site (63) handles the household and similar waste of Puy-de-Dôme and north of the Haute-Loire departments (France). The centre recovers the waste in several forms: As electricity and agricultural compost, or as materials usable in steelworks or construction.
- Increase in the recycling rate of the 230,000 tonnes of waste collected each year from 35% to over 70%.
- Provides lighting for 70,000 people.
- Produces 6,500 tonnes of certified compost.
- Created more than 50 local jobs.
- Lack of demand for recovered or recycled materials above virgin material.
- Continue to identify the positive contribution of energy recovery, a complementary solution to material recycling.